Astro.4UTM are human iPSC- derived astrocytes supporting neuroscience research and drug discovery. Astrocytes are the most abundant cell type in the central nervous system (CNS) and, traditionally described, act as supporting elements for neurons. Recently, astrocytes have gained more recognition as essential players in information processing in the brain, as well as in various roles in neuronal homeostasis and synaptic plasticity. Additionally, increasing data support the critical role of astrocytes in disease progression, including neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. Since current astrocyte models (i.e., primary or animal-derived) have many limitations with regard to translatability, reproducibility and availability, human iPSC-derived astrocytes provide a valuable tool to challenge the neuron-centric view of neurological disorders and study the role of astrocytes for drug discovery and disease modeling purposes.
Advantages of Astro.4UTM:
- Differentiated low-proliferative human astrocytes with primary-like star-shaped morphology
- Ready to use cells with long-term (>3 weeks) viability in culture
- Established in co-culturing systems with Axiogenesis’ human neuronal cell products
Astro.4U are GFAP-positive
Assays & Applications
Potential areas of use for Astro.4UTM include
- General neuroscience research (e.g., CNS functionality, neurogenesis)
- Astrocyte-mediated neurotoxicity
- Neuro-protection assays
- Inflammation assays
- Disease modeling (e.g., neurodegenerative disease)
- Tissue modeling
Next day delivery is available for both European and US customers.